Monday, May 24, 2010

Life in the VA (Venezuela)


Coming to Venezuela has been a humbling experience. People in America complain so much about not having the best material objects that it's pathetic; in retrospect, I am a victim of wanting the best material objects that have no value. For example, I complain
about not having the the flashiest car, the most expensive smartphone, not having enough money, etc. etc. The majority of people in Venezuela don't even have the opportunities to advance and obtain the material objects that we posses in the United States. The Venezuelans take what the plights that are given to them and make the most out of it. After being here for a week I now understand that I need to start being more appreciative of what I posses and adore in the United States. If we all can just start being appreciative of being alive and enjoying having friends and family that love us, I feel that Americans and all human beings can make the world a better place.

Just observing our host family, the Rodriguez's, it is amazing how family oriented they are. The only people that I have seen watch TV has been Chris, Ja'Nel and I. In America, some people have been socially trained to be so concerned about "me" and not "we" that we often lose sight on what we really need to strengthen which is more family time and service for our respected communities. There is no need to be narrowly focused on temporary objects because they will be here today and gone tomorrow.

- Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment