Monday, May 24, 2010

"...when the G4 Leaves the Concourse"

When I finally decided to study abroad, it was difficult for me to believe that I was actually going to follow through. It was even more unbelievable for my friends and family. Chris, who was one of the major influences in my decision to take this trip, was one of the major skeptics as well. Chris told me constantly, "I won't believe that you are going until the G-4 leaves the concourse." Although I knew that Chris's skepticism was a reverse psychological approach towards encouragement, it was really hard for me to believe that I was actually going to follow through.

My goal was to spend the least amount of my money as possible. This was a very ambitious goal considering that I decided to study abroad two months before the departure date. I instantly started looking for grants, scholarships, and programs to offset the cost of the trip. The Genesee County Census Bureau sponsored a 2010 Census Video Contest for Flint area college students. Students were to create a 60 second commercial advertising the 2010 Census. Chris and I decided to participate. With two hours of brainstorming, an iFlip HD camera, and a few willing friends, "Who's Counting" was born. Our video took first place in the contest and put the trip deposit right into our hands.

It was time to get real, I had less than two months to get a passport, apply and get accepted into the program, get my courses approved, and to get approved as a guest student from UM-Flint, amongst other things like finals and work. I don't know how it got done, but by the week before departure, I had satisfied all requirements and was preparing for departure. I knew that I was about to go somewhere, but since I had never been out of the country, it was hard for me to grasp that I was going to Venezuela. When the date of departure came, I was still unable to believe that within 24 hours I would be in Venezuela.

I was excited about what lied ahead. Although I didn't know what to expect then, and I don't know what is to come now, I know that The 3 Hermanos will be in it together. I find much comfort in knowing that I have a strong friends and family behind me in every step of my life. Although this trip, at times, seemed impossible, when the G4 left the concourse, I was there with mi hermanos.

No comments:

Post a Comment